Monday, March 5, 2012

OK, I give up

I've given up on the treadmill desk, at least for now. One big reason is that I'm not working from home as much. When I'm at home I just have the single 17" laptop screen, whereas at work I have two 19" monitors. Also, the setup of my treadmill desk puts my 17" screen a little further away than my monitors are at work. I find myself frequently leaning forward, squinting or zooming in. The other thing that has been driving me crazy is the keyboard stand I built isn't 100% stable. If I lean on it, it can collapse on one side. As I'm typing this, I realize that problem could be easily fixed, and maybe I will. My plan was to create a stand I could mount my monitors on, and take the whole setup into the office. A big reason that hasn't happened is that I'm currently looking for a new job. I don't want to go through all the trouble of moving the treadmill (something that is never easy), and getting everything just perfect only to find out that I'm leaving and need to move my treadmill out of that office and back to my basement. Lastly, I started to notice that I could really walk while I was figuring out new things. If I was doing things I knew how to do, I could walk without a problem, but if I got stuck and had to research/google something, I would end up stopped. Part of that is the monitor situation, but I do think part of it is just a fact of the "walking and chewing gum" effect. I find the same thing when listening to music. It's fine while I'm putting out simple or moderately complex code, but not when I really need to concentrate. When I do find a new job, I'm probably not going to declare treadmill desk from day 1. Those first few weeks when everyone is trying to figure each other out can be uncomfortable enough without them wondering if I'm crazy for having a treadmill desk. So, there it is, my goal to blog until I stop using a walking desk is somewhat complete. I'll probably still walk for a portion of the days I do work from home. I have found that I do like the stand up desk, and will try to get a "sit-to-stand" desk and at the very least a standing desk. Then at some point I may stick a treadmill under that desk and try walking again. If I do, I'll revive this blog. I still think you should try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment