Friday, January 13, 2012

Treadmill Desk Day 2 - 234.4 lbs

A quick recap of my thoughts from Day 1

I started the day hardly able to walk at .7mph.  I found the walking distracting.  While I was writing yesterday's blog post I was able to setting in comfortably at .7mph.  Before lunch I was up to .8-1.2mph and hardly noticing the walking.  I found that walking slower was more distracting than faster, but didn't want to push it too much.  Also right now my laptop is on the treadmills book holder, and it jiggles a little at higher speeds.  I'm going to look into shelf system that's not connected to the treadmill for a laptop/monitor stand.

My normal day was of course spent sitting all day, so this was a big shift, and by afternoon my legs felt noticeably tired.  I found my self walking for a minute then stepping on the rails of the treadmill to stand for a minute.  Walking was much more distracting while I was tired, but I was able to get some good work done with this alternating between standing and walking.  While I found I could think well while walking, I found it harder to concentrate on typing.

The most surprising thing was that I found that I was subconsciously switching from walking to standing on the rails.  I start walking, thinking and coding, and after a few minutes I'd look down and find that I was standing on the rails.

My hip flexors were sore last night, but I didn't have any noticeable soreness this morning.  I had originally planned to go to the office this morning and work from my desk, but we had a snow storm yesterday, so I'm waiting for a reasonable hour to run the snow blower, take a shower then head in.  Until then I'll be working from the treadmill.

This morning I am having no problems blogging at 1.5mph, and found my initial .7mph quite distracting.  I'm really trying not to obsess about speed.  I know at some point I'll hopefully be putting in 40 hours a week, and at 1.5mph that's 60 miles.  No small bit of walking there.

No comments:

Post a Comment